Traduci

Syrian army launches new offensive on Aleppo as ceasefire plan crumbles

cms_4575/1.jpg

Offensive comes on heels of at least 24 hours of airstrikes on east Aleppo that has left dozens of civilians dead while US and Russia hold last-ditch meeting at UN.

cms_4575/2.jpg

The Syrian military has announced a major new offensive on rebel-held eastern Aleppo, after a withering bombardment that ended all talk of restoring a US-Russian ceasefire and raising questions over whether the ceasefire had been a tactical ploy by the Assad regime and its Russian sponsors.

The announcement was made as the US secretary of state, John Kerry, met his Russian opposite number, Sergey Lavrov, and other foreign ministers on the margins of a United Nations summit in New York.

cms_4575/3.jpg

The meeting was supposed to have explored ways of restoring a weeklong Syrian ceasefire, which had collapsed when the Syrian military declared itself no longer bound by the deal negotiated 10 days before by Kerry and Lavrov, and a UN humanitarian convoy was hit by airstrikes while delivering food and medicines to an opposition area.

cms_4575/4.jpg

The official Syrian army statement said: “The high command announces the start of operations in the east of Aleppo and calls for brothers and citizens to stay away from areas where terrorists are operating.”

The statement called for civilians to head to Syrian regime checkpoints “to be escorted to safety”.

The army declaration followed several days of intense bombing of eastern Aleppo with helicopter-borne barrel bombs and airstrikes from warplanes.

cms_4575/5.jpg

Residents of eastern Aleppo said airstrikes continued through the night and into late Thursday afternoon. Doctors and activists said they had not yet updated the death toll, which stood at 49 for Wednesday, because the dead and wounded were too numerous and hospitals were under pressure.

cms_4575/6.jpg

Rescue operations were also still ongoing throughout the rebel-held parts of the city. “The pressure on the hospitals is very dire,” said one doctor.

Charles Lister, a senior fellow at the Middle East Institute, said that the Assad regime had used the weeklong, very partial ceasefire to regroup and prepare for further fighting.

cms_4575/7.jpg

“For a week straight, the Syrian government consistently ignored Moscow’s demands and destroyed a ceasefire deal that had been largely of Russia’s making. The regime also reinforced its troop positions around Aleppo and amassed forces opposite the strategic northern town of Jisr al-Shughour, and its aircraft were blamed for bombings around Aleppo, north of the city of Homs, and in parts of southern Daraa governorate,” Lister wrote before the announcement of the offensive.

cms_4575/8.jpg

“The Syrian regime’s decision to scuttle the latest diplomatic effort should drive home one simple point: Bashar al-Assad does not intend to step down from power, and he will use any means at his disposal to prevent that from happening.”

cms_4575/9.jpg

Since Monday, the Syrian air force has stepped up its bombing of rebel-held areas, and both Russia and Syria have been implicated in the attack on the relief convoy, which the UN has deemed a potential war crime.

On Thursday, the Syrian American Medical Society, which operates and supports several hospitals in the country, said one of its facilities in Aleppo had been targeted overnight with cluster munitions. The UN said a clinic had been destroyed in Khan Tuman district, killing medical staff and with civilians still reportedly trapped under the rubble.

cms_4575/10.jpg

The Syrian president, Bashar al-Assad, denied his government was responsible for the repeated bombing of hospitals. “We don’t attack any hospitals,” he told the Associated Press. “This is how we can help the terrorists, if we attack hospitals, schools, and things like this.”

Assad also rejected criticism of his forces’ use of barrel bombs, improvised crates of high explosives most often dropped on urban areas from helicopters. He said the focus on such weapons was because “in the media, ‘when it bleeds, it leads’”.

“A bomb is a bomb, what’s the difference between different kinds of bombs? All bombs are to kill, but it’s about how to use it,” he said. “When you use an armament, you use it to defend the civilians. You kill terrorists in order to defend civilians.”

cms_4575/11.jpg

Fresh details of the horror from a night of intense bombardment emerged on Thursday, including the death of a family of seven in Aleppo’s al-Kallaseh neighbourhood on Wednesday night. The dead included a 14-year-old boy, Ayham, and two infants aged five and nine months, named Laren and Hana’a.

Another family survived for hours under the rubble of their home before being rescued by the father.

“The planes have not left the city’s skies and the bombing is continuous and indiscriminate,” said one activist in eastern Aleppo. Heavy clashes gripped the city’s outskirts after airstrikes triggered major fires, with local activists blaming incendiary bombs.

“It’s so close to my house and I can see the fire,” said one resident in a voice message sent two hours after midnight. “There is fire in the sky.”

cms_4575/italfahne.jpgL’esercito siriano lancia la nuova offensiva su Aleppo come piano di cessate il fuoco si sbriciola.

Offensive arriva sulla scia di almeno 24 ore di attacchi aerei su est di Aleppo che ha lasciato decine di civili morti, mentre Stati Uniti e Russia tenere riunioni ultimo disperato a Nazioni Unite

L’esercito siriano ha annunciato una nuova grande offensiva in mano ai ribelli Aleppo orientale, dopo un bombardamento appassimento che si è conclusa tutti parlano di ripristino di un cessate il fuoco tra USA e Russia e sollevando dubbi sulla possibilità che il cessate il fuoco era stato un espediente tattico da parte del regime di Assad e il suo russo sponsor.

L’annuncio è stato fatto come il segretario di stato, John Kerry, ha incontrato il suo numero russo opposto, Sergey Lavrov, e gli altri ministri degli Esteri a margine di un vertice delle Nazioni Unite a New York.

L’incontro avrebbe dovuto esplorare modi di ripristino di un cessate il fuoco in Siria di una settimana, che era crollata quando l’esercito siriano si è dichiarata non è più vincolato dalla trattativa negoziata 10 giorni prima da Kerry e Lavrov, e un convoglio umanitario delle Nazioni Unite è stato colpito da attacchi aerei offrendo allo stesso tempo cibo e medicine in un’area opposizione.

La dichiarazione ufficiale dell’esercito siriano ha detto: “L’alto comando annuncia l’inizio delle operazioni nella parte orientale di Aleppo e chiede fratelli e cittadini di stare lontano dalle zone dove i terroristi operano.”

La dichiarazione chiamato per i civili a testa per posti di blocco regime siriano “per essere accompagnati al di sicurezza”.

La dichiarazione esercito ha seguito diversi giorni di intensi bombardamenti di Aleppo orientale con bombe a botte elicottero-borne e attacchi aerei da aerei da guerra.

I residenti di Aleppo orientale detto attacchi aerei hanno continuato per tutta la notte e in ritardo Giovedi pomeriggio. I medici e gli attivisti hanno detto che non avevano ancora aggiornato il bilancio delle vittime, che si attesta a 49 per Mercoledì, perché i morti ei feriti erano troppo numerosi e gli ospedali erano sotto pressione.

Le operazioni di soccorso sono stati anche ancora in corso in tutte le parti ribelli della città. “La pressione sui ospedali è molto terribile,” ha detto un medico.

Charles Lister, senior fellow presso il Middle East Institute, ha detto che il regime di Assad aveva usato la durata di una settimana, il cessate il fuoco molto parziale di riorganizzarsi e prepararsi a ulteriori combattimenti.

“Per una settimana di fila, il governo siriano costantemente ignorato le richieste di Mosca e distrutto un accordo di cessate il fuoco che era stato in gran parte del processo della Russia. Il regime ha inoltre rafforzato le sue posizioni di truppe intorno Aleppo e le forze ammassate di fronte alla città settentrionale strategica di Jisr al-Shughour, e la sua aerei sono stati accusato di attentati in tutto Aleppo, a nord della città di Homs, e in alcune zone del sud del governatorato Daraa, “Lister ha scritto prima dell’annuncio dell’offensiva.

“La decisione del regime siriano di affossare l’ultimo sforzo diplomatico deve guidare a casa un punto semplice:. Bashar al-Assad non ha intenzione di dimettersi dal potere, e userà tutti i mezzi a sua disposizione per impedire che ciò accada”

Dal Lunedi, l’aviazione siriana ha intensificato il suo bombardamento di aree controllate dai ribelli, e sia la Russia e la Siria sono stati implicati nell’attacco al convoglio di soccorso, che l’ONU ha ritenuto un potenziale crimine di guerra.

Giovedi ’, il siriano American Medical Society, che gestisce e supporta diversi ospedali nel paese, ha detto uno dei suoi impianti a Aleppo erano stati presi di mira durante la notte con munizioni a grappolo. L’ONU ha detto che una clinica era stato distrutto nel distretto di Khan Tuman, uccidendo personale medico e con i civili ancora riferito, intrappolate sotto le macerie.

Il presidente siriano, Bashar al-Assad, ha negato il suo governo è stato responsabile per il bombardamento ripetuto di ospedali. “Noi non attaccare qualsiasi ospedali”, ha detto alla Associated Press. “Questo è come possiamo aiutare i terroristi, se attacchiamo ospedali, scuole, e cose del genere.”

(Tradotto dall’articolo Syrian army launches new offensive on Aleppo as ceasefire plan crumbles scritto da Julian Borger and Kareem Shaeehen pubblicato su theguardian.com giovedi’ 22 settembre 2016.)

Data:

23 Settembre 2016